Comets Overcome 4-run 1st Inning Deficit in Come From Behind Gem

If the Comets could erase an inning from their season, yesterdays 1st inning may have been a good one. After falling behind 4-0 in the 1st, Reggie Undseth showed his mettle in taking the mound and going the distance after spotting nearly a handful of runs to West Central Area. The Knights fell prey to yet another display of Comet baseball's resiliency.

After two scoreless innings, the Comet bats came alive and capitalized on a few mistakes by the Knights. In the top of the 3rd, Trey Bosek reached first base on an error. When Collin Erickson showed why he is one of Coach Undseth's top hitters reached first base on grounder, Bosek trucked from first to third and landed 90 feet from scoring. Erickson took off for second during the next at bat, creating a diversion with the double-steal play that brough Bosek home.

I am so proud of the way our guys fought back after going down 4-0 in the first inning. Reggie settled himself and pitched a terrific game the rest of the way, giving us the opportunity to chip away at the deficit. We finally got some clutch hits when we needed them from Collin, Sean, Nick, and Jordan. After the two extra-inning games earlier in the week when we scored a total of 4 runs in 19 innings, it was very satisfying to go home with a win tonight.
— Head Coach Steve Undseth

Sean McGuire stepped into the box and tipped his hat, seeing Erickson at second with a run on the board for the Comets. McGuire ripped a single that caught a lot of green, allowing Bosek to round third easily and put the Comets down 2 runs, 4-2.

The Knights fought back in the following innings, giving Hillcrest a 5-2 deficit before Hillcrest caught some momentum in the 5th around Bosek for a second time. After walking, Bosek eyed second base. Another single by Erickson gave Bosek free pass to third base. 90 feet from home for the second time in the day, Bosek sprinted home on an RBI sacrifice by Nick Foss. 

When McGuire stepped in it was like things hadn't changed since his previous at bat. Erickson was at second and Bosek was high fiving in the dugout. Another RBI single let Erickson sit for a few minutes, scoring easily before grabbing his glove and standing at the fence of the dugout. The Comets were down 5-4 with McGuire on first.

McGuire moved to second after Undseth was hit by a pitch. With Foss stepping to the plate McGuire took a large lead at second. The infield was playing straight up, and Foss noticed a simple hole over first base. A tip over the first baseman's head sent McGuire from his large lead to score the tying run.

The stage was set for another round of late game heroics for the Comets. After a few at bats Hillcrest stood with a tying score and the bases loaded. Jake Steinle cooly walked to the plate. He'd been in a game winning situation earlier in the year. But what came through during Steinle's at bat wasn't the prowess of a hitter but the patience of a ball player. Steinle played the game, taking a series of pitches that might have led to a cheering stomp from the dugout. But he was disciplined. He didn't reach for a pitch with his aluminum bat. Instead, he sat and watched and walked to first base as the winning run crossed home plate.

The Comets play their final home game Monday vs. Barnesville. Hillcrest is 8-6 on the season.