In 1922 S.L. Klyve was added to the Lutheran Brethren Bible School faculty. He served in teaching and training ministry-minded individuals.
His class record book documents a difficult time at Hillcrest. Klyve was known as a man with keen spiritual insight, added to the Lutheran Brethren School’s faculty to enhance the Bible training for pastors in an era of growth and expansion in the Lutheran Brethren church.
However, in 1931, Klyve took a leave from the Bible School due to the impact of the Depression on the schools. He returned in 1936 to once again bolster and enhance the pastoral training. He noted in 1929 that the school was taking on a different look than many thought. While many thought of LBS as a Bible school, he noted that the high school department was growing at a larger and faster rate than the Bible school, concerning to some who saw the schools as a primary training ground for pastors.
Klyve would later write a testimony to the importance of the high school department in the Bible School for young individuals, noting that, “What we have is a high school with a Bible department.”
Kylve would go on to note that this change didn’t impact the spiritual emphasis of the school, but more was a remark to the age of the students who were attending the school at that time. It was said that one could be as godly as seventeen as at twenty-seven, but he would express his Christian faith and life somewhat differently.